Since our founding in 2010, TechFreedom has become the premier technology policy think tank dedicated to free markets, free speech and civil liberties. We reject the pessimism that drives one technopanic after another across tech policy debates— as well the technocratic impulse to try to engineer a better future from the top down. Through our work across a wide range of issues — from broadband to drones, from surveillance to consumer protection, from Internet law to the sharing economy — we have established a strong brand: principled, independent and uniquely able to build coalitions across partisan and ideological lines.
Reporting to the President, the Editor-in-Chief (EIC) is responsible for leading the editorial content strategy for TechFreedom. The EIC defines an editorial plan that comes to life throughout our digital ecosystem: our website, newsletters, and other assets as well as outside publications. They will work across TechFreedom’s portfolio of issues with subject matter experts to build thought leadership. This highly visible role requires vision, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a proven track record of stellar performance within research or think tank setting.
Our first Editor-in-Chief will:
- Work with the President to establish the editorial vision and related strategy for TechFreedom and works with staff to produce content that serves our strategic goals
- Create outlines, repurposes and reworks existing material and fills gaps in written products by assessing the content “blocks” created by our experts, polishing and rearranging them to fit better together
- Oversee the production and publication of written content for TF’s media platforms
- Provide quality control on all content, ensuring accuracy, soundness, and effective distribution
- Formulate editorial calendar in conjunction with the President and COO
- Work with the project manager to ensure reasonably consistent editorial content with editorial calendar
- Ensure advance warning to management regarding potential or actual changes to calendar due to breaking or significant news events
- Facilitate all possible integration with TF’s production calendar
- Develop and manage editorial guidelines, policies, and related compliance to the same
- Change, modify, paraphrase or condense the content in order to enhance its quality and approve or reject the piece based on preset grounds
- Collaborate with management to draft development materials that explain our work and the value it creates. Development targets include foundations, individuals, and entrepreneurs
- Strengthen our brand by expanding and refining communications, including our web presence, media coverage, and external relations
The EIC must be committed to TechFreedom’s mission. All candidates must have proven writing, editing, coaching, and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- Five or more years of progressive responsibility in communications, including intensive editing of complex longform work (preferably in an think tank or trade association)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products for editing text, maintaining prefered styles/formatting, creating templates and organizing files/folders
- A background in technology policy is preferred but not required
- Experience working with lawyers
- Demonstrably effective experience in managing people, programs, and publication processes
- Superb collaboration, interpersonal, and communication (written and oral) skills
- Experience placing written pieces in external publications and working with outside editors
- Preference for working in a fast-paced, hands-on environment
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks with attention to details
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Ability to remain flexible and respond to changing priorities and needs
While TechFreedom is based in Washington, DC, we are open to hiring candidates located elsewhere. Quarterly travel to Washington, DC is expected.
Please send applications to TechFreedom’s COO, Dan Benavente <email@example.com>. Please include a resume, cover letter explaining your interest in our mission and fit for our needs, and salary expectations.